Over the weekend, Ithaca Holdings, the company owned by Justin Bieber’s manager Scooter Braun, acquired Scott Borchetta’s Big Machine Label Group and Taylor Swift is not at all happy.
Taylor used to be on Big Machine, which means Braun now owns her Masters, something Taylor described on Tumblr as her “worst case scenario,” especially because of what she called, “the incessant, manipulative bullying I’ve received at [Braun’s] hands for years.” According to Taylor, the bullying occurred during the whole KanyeWest/Kim Kardashian feud.
“Now Scooter has stripped me of my life’s work, that I wasn’t given an opportunity to buy,” she writes. “Essentially, my musical legacy is about to lie in the hands of someone who tried to dismantle it.”
She’s also mad at Borchetta, because she says he knew how she felt about Braun, adding, “This is what happens when you sign a deal at fifteen to someone for whom the term ‘loyalty’ is clearly just a contractual concept,” noting, “And when that man says ‘Music has value’, he means its value is beholden to men who had no part in creating it.”
- Taylor goes on to share, “When I left my masters in Scott’s hands, I made peace with the fact that eventually he would sell them. Never in my worst nightmares did I imagine the buyer would be Scooter,” adding, “He knew what he was doing; they both did. Controlling a woman who didn’t want to be associated with them. In perpetuity. That means forever.” Check out Taylor’s complete post to the right.
- Meanwhile, TMZ claims Taylor got a note about the deal from Borchetta on Saturday, and her dad knew about the deal “for at least a week” because he is a part of Big Machine’s Board of Directors, but a rep for Taylor insists, “Taylor found out from the news articles when she woke up before seeing any text from Scott Borchetta and he did not call her in advance.” The rep adds that Taylor’s dad Scott Swift is not on the Board of the label, and while there was a shareholders call last week, he wasn’t on it because of a strict NDA and didn’t want to have to keep any info from his daughter.
- Borchetta later responded to Taylor’s claims, insisting he, “personally texted Taylor at 9:06 PM, Saturday, June 29th, to inform her prior to the story breaking,” adding “I guess it’s possible that she might not have seen my text. But, I truly doubt that she ‘woke up to the news when everyone else did.'” He also insists “Scooter was never anything but positive about Taylor,” and even suggested Scooter reached out to him to ask Taylor to participate in the One Love Manchester concert, as well as Parkland March and she declined both offers. Finally, he notes, “Scooter has always been and will continue to be a supporter and honest custodian of Taylor and her music.” Read his complete post here.
- And…Braun’s wife Yael took to Instagram to blast Taylor, insisting she got the heads up about the deal from her father, and also adds, “You were given the opportunity to own your masters, you passed.”
- ONE MORE THING! One person who has Taylor’s back is Halsey, writing on Twitter that it “turns my guts that no matter how much power or success a woman has in life you are suceptible to someone coming along and making you feel powerless out of spite.” She adds, “I am standing with her.” In addition, one report claims Nicki Minaj, Miley Cyrus, Lana Del Rey, Selena Gomez, Rihanna and Adele have all stopped following Braun on social media following Taylor’s post. Check out Halsey’s complete post below.
- And...Taylor’s fans are standing by her, using the hashtag #WeStandWithTaylor on Twitter. “me deleting taylor swift, fearless, speak now, red, 1989, and rep from my spotify playlist because i refuse to give scooter braun money,” one person wrote, while another added, “This whole fiasco about Taylor and Scooter just show how sh*tty some men are. I dont care if you dont like Taylor or Taylor’s music. But, I truly believe she deserves to own the rights to the music she wrote in her bedroom when she was 19.